Saturday, July 9, 2011

Who is the Lord?

Who is God?

Simple question right? But I am serious. Who is God? The great I AM? The Father? Who do you think he is? What you know about God: is it just something you have heard all your life, or do you really know based on what you have read in the Word, learned in church, and experienced in your life?

I want to know God. Really know Him. To walk with Him daily. Before the fall Adam and Eve got to walk with the Lord. What a wonderful picture. We were created for Him and by Him. He longs to walk with us each day.

This morning I wanted to learn what God had to say about a particular topic. I found the answer, but He also showed me something else—so much more than I had hoped to hear and learn.

He led me to Psalm 103.

You know, God is awesome!

It is so cool when you are in the moment and He is teaching you something and you know that you are hearing what He wants you to hear at that time.

If we want to know who God is we have to look at the entire Bible. If we just look at one section, say in the Minor Prophets, we would get a completely different picture than if we read the book of 1 John. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8), and He wants us to know Him.

There are 1,189 chapters in the Bible. In just one chapter, Psalm 103, he revealed 19 traits that I counted. If you find more let me know.  Here is what I found about God:
·         Forgives my iniquities
·         Heals disease
·         Redeems my life from the pit
·         Abounding in steadfast love
·         Mercy—He is merciful
·         Satisfies with good
·         Renews us
·         Righteous
·         Just
·         Makes His will known
·         Acts in our lives
·         Gracious
·         Slow to anger
·         Gives us many chances
·         Forgives us—as far as the east is from the west
·         Compassion
·         Creator
·         Everlasting
·         Keeper of promises

In just one chapter there are 19 truths about God. I made the list and looked each one over. Every single one of them is true. We can see that throughout the Bible time and time again.

Last time, I wrote about spiritual makers and how it is important for us to do to remember what God has done for us. After I made the list I went over each one and thought about how God had manifested Himself to me in that way. It was extremely exciting to count back all the blessings and things that God had done before my eyes. He reminded me of some of the ways He had worked that I had forgotten about.

I was renewed just studying this. This is my God! I have the privilege to serve Him and He loves me and wants to walk with me daily! How sweet is that? And to think, these are just a few of the characteristics of the Father. I’d love to do a deeper study and discover all of who He is and wants to reveal to us.

Verses 20-22 are the perfect ending to the chapter. This was David’s response after he told of God and His work in his life.

Bless the LORD, O you his angels,
   you mighty ones who do his word,
   obeying the voice of his word!
Bless the LORD, all his hosts,
   his ministers, who do his will!
Bless the LORD, all his works,
   in all places of his dominion.
 Bless the LORD, O my soul!

That is how we should react. We should bless the Lord! Amen! Hallelujah! God is making himself known to us through his word and in our lives.

Bless the Lord, O my soul indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment